Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Day 1-June 9th, 2015


    Sure it seems a little "basic" to start my blog off with a quote, but damn it, this is my blog and I feel good about having it there. I hope it will help remind me why I have decided to take to this avenue of writing in the first place. Also, I don't expect anyone to ever read this so I feel a little free with my approach on writing. Plus, I'm not a neat and thought out writer, I usually just write what's floating at the top of my mind. Writing is therapy, a let go, and I fully intend to do just that.

       So, why start a blog today? Well I feel like I'm in a rut, like I'm having a mid-life crisis and I'm only in my 20s. Okay, well mid-life crisis is a little drama queen of me to say, but I'm just at one of those turning points in life. I look at Facebook (ugh Facebook) and it's hard not to compare myself to my peers. However, I have to remember that's the shiniest version of people. (I might be better off getting rid of Facebook.) Anyway, another thing that's got me in a flutter is I'm not sure if I'm in the right career path. I love my job, I think it's a great organization with a great mission, but it's the type of career where I could settle down in the same city for the rest of my life and be the person who's been in the same job for 40 years. There is nothing wrong with that of course, but I just don't think I'm ready to settle down in one city for the rest of my life quite yet. I want to see the world- experience all the wonderful sounds, tastes, sights, and people. I feel as if I'm on the verge of something. And I think that all starts with this blog.

       My goal is to get out of this rut. To do that I have decided to start by recognizing one piece of happy every day. My mind is too caught up on what I'm not doing, that I need to start focusing on what I am doing instead. I've already taken a few measures to make today a great day.

        First I decided to take a 20 minute work break and write this blog. Check! Next I decided I would contact my cousin in Hawaii and see if I could visit in the fall. I figured once I am out there I can take a much needed self-cation. Self-cation, my definition: a vacation where you have no cell phone reception or Internet connection and focus on what's around you and what's making you happy. Check! Then I emailed a friend and we talked about all the places we want to visit in our own state this Summer. We are making a bucket list of places we want to see and every day we have off together we will go visit, even if it's just for the day, even if it's a long drive. Check!

         Then tonight after work I will be hanging out with a dear friend who I have not spent time with in way too long, wander aimlessly around Target (because Target is absolutely one of my happy places) and catch up on life. And that's my Daily Slice of Happy for Tuesday, June 9th.

I'm feeling optimistic!


No comments:

Post a Comment